On Saturday, 9th July 2022, the Archdeacon for Regeneration & Mission, The Ven Canon Mark Chamberlain visited St Aug’s to meet with our people and formulate a few focus points for us to work with in trying to grow our parish life. Because of COVID isolation and (+) tests throughout our congregations, numbers were lower than originally anticipated; however, the general feeling amongst those who attended was one of encouragement and enthusiasm.
At this stage of our planning, let us be mindful that Mission was NOT made for the Church; instead, the Church was made for God’s Mission and our burning issue should be “Rather than What sort of Mission has God got for me? We ask ourselves, What version of Me does God want for Mission?”
We are a parish of good resources and we need to use these resources a best we can:
- Great facilities and a single centre
- Vicar / Staff / Administration / Youth Worker / Retired Clergy
- We are located in a financially secure community
- Good relationship with local schools
- We have a brilliant organ and great acoustics in our church
- We have great musicians to support our services
Here are the Points of Focus we have decided to work with, towards creating a livelier, more visible and more active Beacon to God’s People:
- Provide Coffee Mornings for young mothers in the community as a way of reaching out and embracing the hardships they might be enduring.
- Provide more events: Music Concerts, Recitals etc to bring in more people to our facilities
- Organise Discipleship Courses or Sermon Series, highlighting the discipleship process and encouraging it to happen
- Develop a Communication Plan that will enhance our visibility: improve website and social media pages for easier access by potential visitors to our church.
To encourage ourselves, we are reminded that we are now a parish with stability and long term focus, provided by the Vicar and Staff team working together with a great team of Volunteers!
Our next step is to form a task force who will lead us into action. Please pray deeply over who we could as to be part of this group.
Conversations do not end here. To grow and regenerate our parish, we will be holding several meetings / discussion groups to ensure that all our voices are heard!